Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Thank You



“Happiness flutters in the air whilst we rest among the breaths of nature.” 
~Kelly Sheaffer



Nature is a gift. Wonderful treats and treasures wrapped in magnificent packages. Jehovah loves us, and the earth vibrates with its proof. Like a doting parent to their child, we are spoiled with every trinket, bauble, and gem we could ever wish for… if only we pause to see it. When compared to the joy we have when giving a gift, how Jehovah must have thrilled at the pleasure of his own abundant generosity! Creating new and lovely things to spark our senses while caring for our needs. But sometimes I feel like so much of our knowledge of the world around us is obtained in the form of cold hard facts. Emotionless science that scoffs at gratitude and wonder. The foundation of science often is the sandy shoal of evolutionism. A false premise that tries to prevent us from believing the wonderful.

Now, I’m not talking about a ‘Disney’ view of things. Unrealistic human traits attached to things not, well… human. I realize there are amazing scientific explanations for the ‘why?’ and ‘how?’ around us. But I guess my recent mental ramblings have taken the turn of appreciative meditation. A fanciful curiosity that begs the question “Why?” that leads to “Why me?” As I was sitting by an open window listening to the chorus of nature, my heart was touched at the loving thoughtfulness in all that surrounded me. And this spark of thought sent me on a treasure hunt. A desire to know more and to appreciate more fully. May I share what I found?


Birdies!
Praise Jah! Praise Jehovah from the heavens; Praise him in the heights. You… winged birds.” ~ Psalms 148:1,10
We all know birds sing to catch chicks. ;-) But I couldn’t help but wonder “why?” All kinds of animals do all kinds of things to attract a mate, mostly unnoticed by humans. But why do birds sing melodic tunes that are at the right resonance and tones for our ears?  I noticed, too, that birds seem to sing more in the morning. And it made me wonder, is that for their sake or for ours? As it happens, there is a phenomenon called the ‘morning dawn chorus’. During certain times of the year birds are particularly vocal in the early morning. As day dawns, their singing unites to a dynamic crescendo. And once day is established, quiets to a normal song. Science explains this as an instinctive knowledge that the air is more still in the morning so the sound goes farther. But they aren’t sure of the usefulness of this instinct. (g91 5/22) Here’s what I wonder… do they just sing for each other? Could it be, that just for you and me, Jehovah created a great magnificent ‘alarm clock’ to wake us to our happy, busy day? A natural world full of little melodic singers that serenade us to wake? An amazing gift outside our window every morning that, perhaps, we’ve taken for granted since the day we were born? How amazing would that be? And how brilliant! I don’t know this for sure…. But I’m eager to find out.

Flutterbies!
The butterfly is a flying flower
The flower a tethered butterfly.
~Ponce Denis Écouchard Lebrun
Is there any creature on the planet more delightfully decorative than a butterfly? They flit around on the prettiest of flowers as if they simply wouldn’t be caught dead on some ugly old weed. As frivolous as a butterfly seems, apparently they have an intense, difficult and extremely short life. And while they do serve a function in the world of pollination, they don’t need their fancy clothes to accomplish that task. Are the thousands of varieties of this year’s latest wings purely to attract a mate? Would you believe… No. Butterflies don’t attract each other through color. Experiments have been done in which the wings of butterflies were tinted black… there was no difference in their love life. (g88 11/22) So… why?? Beauty, color, pattern and movement… mingling with the beauty, color, pattern and movement of a garden. Do these little airborne gems exist purely for the survival of flowers? I don’t think so. I’d like to think they are art personified. Moving paintings that dance before us. Yes, they have a job to do. And one of them is simply to make us happy.

All kinds of critters!
Truly, I could go on and on (you know that’s right!). So, I think I will!
               Did you know bees make twice the honey they need to eat, and they seal the extra with wax so it will stay good, virtually, forever? They were designed to share with us! (g05 8/8)
               Kitty Cats express most of their affection through their face and eyes. When they head bump you, their body releases endorphins (and so do we, by the way). Scent glands in their cheeks mark us as ‘theirs’ and apparently feel oh so good to have scratched. And an eye-lock followed by a squinty eye, in kitty world, is as good as a kiss. Why? Why did Jehovah do this? Here are little domestic creatures that we are obviously meant to interact with. We as humans interact a great deal with speech and facial expression. Innocent affection shown through nuzzling and kisses. It seems to me that Jehovah has played to that with these little creatures. He could have given them any characteristics and habits he wished, but are so obviously designed for us. A moment of lovely in our busy day.

And this leads to the “Why me?” The lie of evolution would have us think that we are just another animal occupying the same space as other animals. So far from the truth! True, everything works in harmony to support a balanced ecosystem. But an ecosystem for whom? Have you ever had someone go through a lot of trouble just to be nice to you? A surprise party, perhaps? A guest room elaborately fitted out for your stay? And what do we say? “Aww, you didn’t need to do all that!” The gratitude we have for these simple acts of kindness is overwhelming. Humbling. But when I transfer that perspective to this home of ours, well, it’s almost too much to take in. And I am humbled and a bit shamed. How many days do I let go by without even seeing the gifts placed before me. How many times have I had a bad day and dramatically cursed this wretched life of mine. Selfishly numb to the carefully prepared treasures laid at my very feet. We aren’t the center of the universe. That is for sure. Jehovah is the center of ours. Yet He gives gift after beautiful gift, and humbly is patient with us while we allow these things to go largely unnoticed. Again ….Why me?  (I will not and do not find it my place to, in this frivolous little rant, even attempt to mention the infinitely more profound spiritual gifts. I will let you, dear reader, pursue that course. But the mind does wander…) I am yet again humbled. Thankful. Honored. And filled with wonder at the prospects ahead of us. A time to discover and learn. And to show pure gratitude without the stain of selfishness.

Until then, in my own little voice I say, “Thank you.”

2 comments:

  1. Wow!

    Such a beautiful post! I love how you turn around the "why me?" Being that people ONLY ever use it when some thing bad has happened to them. But instead of referring to when the hard times hit, appreciating, "why me?" Why should I get to receive this wonderful privilege of life!? Yes, what are the chances of all the sperm and eggs that had to meet up to eventually make us, WAY down the line? We've each hit the gene pool lottery to be born!

    I was just appreciating a bright yellow flying flower today, their paths are so unpredictable I love it.

    How beautiful, your writing just gets better and better!

    Your sister,
    Cortny Vee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gene pool lottery!! I love it! And so true. Thanks so much for reading, it means a lot to me. I've enjoyed getting to know you a bit! If you ever want to write, my email is jenjenvoila@gmail.com. I have a few more questions about Uraguay... You've peaked my interest! ;-)

      Delete