Thursday, December 16, 2010

Time Flies!

I can't believe its been almost a year since I last wrote in my blog! Chalk it up to another project, unfinished. I can file it between my unfinished crochet throw blanket(of which the unused balls of yarn are in a gnarly tangle, which I have little hope of repairing) and my cds of "Learning Italian for Dummies". Maybe someday I will wrap myself up in my warm handmade blanket and blog about my summer spent traipsing through Tuscany conversing smartly with the locals. Right about the time Phoenix freezes over.

Well, the folks and I are finally settled in Indiana. And we've made it just in time for winter. We have snow on the ground that doesn't seem inclined to go away anytime soon. Everyone keeps trying to convince me how much I'm going to hate it here. I don't know what they are talking about. It is actually quite invigorating. As a matter of fact, out in service today we had 20 degrees under bright blue skies. I remember thinking, "This is really quite lovely! I don't see what all the fuss is about." And then the wind blew and I thought my cocky little face was going to fall off and break into a thousand tiny frozen pieces. How can a breeze hurt? I stand humbled.

It's been an interesting transition starting over in a completely new area. For the most part it has been great. Great to be near family again. Great to know I'll be close to my little precious niece (whenever she decides to get here, to be continued...). And it is always great to expand my theocratic family and make new friends. But sometimes you just want that comfort of old friends. Like your favorite blanket you curl up on the couch with. Lately, its felt more like the aforementioned unfinished crocheted throw. Warm and fuzzy, but still a lot of work left to make it truly cozy. Last night before the meeting started, I was having my own private pity-party. I had this overwhelming thought of, "Okay, I've had enough of everything 'new'. I'm ready to go home now." That I would think that caught me off guard, so I asked Jehovah to help me get my act together (so-to-speak). Well, Jehovah never disappoints us! After the meeting, I had a great, funny conversation with a sister I hadn't really talked to before. I shared a private joke with another sister (didn't realize I knew her well enough for us to be at that 'private joke' level, but there it was). Had one of the little girls I've tried to make friends with run up to give me a big hug (heart melted!). Was given my first school assignment AND asked to do a demo next week. Yes! NOW we're cookin'! It reminds me of this amazing little article I read in an '05 Watchtower. (And trust me, I had to re-look this up. I'm not so brainy) It compared the scripture at James 1:2 that says we would meet with various trials, to the scripture at 1 Peter 4:10 that states that God's undeserved kindness is expressed in various ways. In short, that word 'various' actually translates many colored. There is no trial or 'color' that Jehovah can't match. And within the congregation, he uses the spiritual gifts that each one has to perfectly match the 'color' of our trial. I don't know if it's my love of art, or I've just stared at too many paint chips, but to me that thought is stunning! And I feel like I was showered with a rainbow worth of gifts last night!

So, my deep thought for the day... my toes may be numb, my face may freeze off, I may have enough unfinished projects to start my own craft store, but my heart is happy. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment